To make my busy mom life easier, you will find this DISCLOSURE on the top of every post because sometimes I use affiliate links. If you click on these links or make a purchase (with no added cost to you), then I make a small commission which helps me run this blog. “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” For details see my info section. Thanks for the support!
Oh, the dreaded, super long school car line! How I wish I could avoid you 5 days a week? For me that isn’t an option. My kids’ school doesn’t have a bus service nor do I have a neighbor to car pool with, so I sit in the car for upwards of 20 minutes every day waiting for my kids to get out of school. When my oldest son started kindergarten, I really didn’t like the car line. I hated the waiting and felt like it was such a waste of time. But then as the years have gone by, I have started to view this wait session as an opportunity to really be productive! I’m a busy mom, so tackling a to do list from the car line became my ultimate goal! But, I don’t spend every day accomplishing the same tasks while I wait. After years of practice, I have come up with 31 Things for Moms to Do While Waiting in the School Car Line!
Some of the tasks on my ultimate list are quite obvious and others not so much. I have gathered them all here for you including some of my favorite relatable tips! Please make sure you are in a safe parked position before doing anything on this list!
31 Productive Things for Moms To Do While Waiting in the School Car Line
- Phone a Friend: Call your Mom, Sister, or Bestie to Catch Up! An added bonus is no kids in the car to interrupt!
- Check Emails: Take the time to actually reply, fill out the form, place an order, or just delete the junk!
- Read a Book: Or listen to one from Audible!
- Listen to a Podcast: My favorites are Spawned, One Bad Mother, and Young House Love!
- Organize Your Calendar/Life: Google Calendar is great or bring along your Do It All Mom Planner!
- Make Appointments: Call the doctor’s office, hair salon, or dog groomer.
- Watch Instagram Stories: This is one of my guilty pleasures! Check out my Instagram.
- Sing Songs: Enjoy your favorites without anyone complaining!
- Catch Up on the Latest News: Whether you like to listen on the radio or browse on your phone!
- Pay Bills: Bring along the stack or scroll through emails to pay bills online or write checks! Don’t forget stamps!
- Have Lunch/Snack/Coffee: Busy moms often forget to eat. Why not try tackling my wellness challenge!
- Meal Plan for the Week: I like to do this on Friday, so my list is ready for the coming week ahead!
- Order Groceries: Use sites like Instacart to place your order & the food will be delivered when you get home!
- Clean Out Your Purse: Always keep a bag in the car for garbage.
- Pinterest Planning: Get ideas for dinner, a party or the next holiday from Pinterest!
- Clean Up Your Phone: Delete old texts and voice messages. Update your contacts list!
- Organize Photos: Move photos into albums on your phone and delete any bad shots!
- Online Shopping: Find a new dress or buy school supplies!
- Clip Coupons: Use sites like Ibotta for virtual coupons and rebates!
- File Receipts: Fish them out of your wallet or purse & organize them in a small accordion folder stored in the car.
- Browse Catalogs: Mine go from the mailbox to my bag, so I can flip through them when I’m bored in the car.
- Pluck Your Eyebrows: The lighting & that little mirror on the visor make your car an awesome spot to tweeze!
- Give Yourself a Manicure: File and Even Paint Your Nails!
- Do a Crossword Puzzle or Word Search: They help keep your mind sharp!
- Meditate: Even two minutes will help you too relax.
- Stretch: Neck and Finger stretches can be done easily while sitting in the car.
- Facial Massage/Yoga: These simple expressions and movements can help prevent wrinkles!
- Practice Better Posture: This book teaches you how to sit properly!
- Tackle a New Hobby: Practice Cross Stitch, Knitting, Beads, or even Photography!
- Play a Video Game: It works for the kids!
- Enjoy the Silence: Because with kids it doesn’t happen very often!
I feel productive just reading this list of things to do while I wait in the car line at my boys school!
If you need some more productive mom tips. Check out my post on 5 morning habits that will make the rest of your day a little easier.
I also post quick, easy tips every Tuesday on my blog. Don’t miss a post by following along through .
I’d love to hear how you spend your time waiting in the school car line. Let me know in the comments below:)