To make my busy mom life easier, you will find this DISCLOSURE on the top of every post because sometimes I use affiliate links. If you click on these links or make a purchase (with no added cost to you), then I make a small commission which helps me run this blog. “We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.” For details see my info section. Thanks for the support!
Do your kids ask a ton of questions, most of which you have no idea the correct answer? My son came home asking me why turkeys have three toes? My initial thought was “Turkeys have three toes?” I realized I didn’t know the answer and I had no idea why?? So, we sat down at the computer to try and find out more about turkeys! Google is an unknowing parent’s best friend! Here are ten fun turkey facts to share with the kids on Thanksgiving! How many did you already know?
Fun Turkey Facts
1) Male turkeys are called “gobblers” because they make a gobble noise. Females are called “hens” and they make clucking sounds, not gobbles.
2) Turkeys have over 5,000 feathers!
3) The red piece that dangles under a turkeys chin is called a wattle!
4) If you thought turkeys couldn’t fly, then think again. A turkey can fly up to 55 mph! Often times a domestic turkey is too heavy too fly which is how the rumor probably started.
5) A turkey’s gizzard contains swallowed stones that help break down food in the bird’s stomach.
6) Turkeys like to sleep in trees to avoid an attack by their predators.
7) The wild turkey was once close to extinction due to over hunting.
8) A lack of external ears doesn’t stop this bird from hearing sounds up to a mile away.
10) Turkeys have three toes in the front and one in the back!
So my son may have been wrong about how many toes a turkey has on its foot, but we had a lot of fun reading turkey facts on the internet!